"O LORD, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!
Selah
Surely a man goes about as a shadow!
Surely for nothing they are in turmoil;
man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!
"And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in you." (vs. 4-7)
Among many things, the Lord has been teaching me to trust Him to provide financially. I have not reached my final support goal yet, and in a way I am thankful. It is so easy for me to attribute things to my own strength. The Lord is crushing my pride and showing me that it is Him and Him alone who can provide. How sinful I am to think "I deserve...." or "I can earn" or "I need."
I have also been greatly encouraged by an autobiography of George Muller that Meredyth bought for me. George Muller was a pastor in Bristol, England in the 1800's. He started an orphanage and cared for over 10,000 children by the end of his life. He never asked for money or supplies, but fully depended on the Lord to lay it the hearts of members of his congregation to give. He spent hours every morning in prayer and meditating on Scripture. There are numerous times in his diary that he depends on the Lord to give the very bread he needs that day to feed the orphans. Like the Israelites trusted the Lord day by day for manna, Muller never stored up wealth but continually trusted the Lord to provide. I have been so convicted and challenged by his life and his very real trust in God's provision. He desired and expected God to be glorified in every aspect of his every ministry. O that I would have the same desire to see the Lord glorified in the support He provides!
Father, I trust you fully with my needs. I trust you with my past, present, and future. Thank you for using this time in my life to teach me about trust and childlike dependence on you. Help me watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin. Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days. Help me not heap up wealth, not knowing who will get it. Help me not store up treasures on earth but in heaven, for I know my life is but a breath. My hope is in you. Save me from my transgressions. Lord you will consume man's wealth like a moth. I am but an alien and a stranger on this earth, I will rejoice in you.
No comments:
Post a Comment