Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The U.S. Election in Britian

I was so excited to mail my absentee ballot in last week! I must say it's been fascinating for me to be in London during the U.S. Election this year. When I left I was really disappointed that I was going to miss being in America for the first election I can vote in. However, I have been surprised to find that the election is covered JUST as much here in England as it is in the states. Obviously, the coverage is from a British point of view but it's still been so interesting to see. Also, just about every British person I've met has asked me what I think about the election. Many of my friends here are following it closer than people I know in the states! BBC has a whole tab on the front page of their website (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and the Guardian (one of Britain's major newspapers) runs full page stories on the election daily.

Our school is having an "election coverage party" in our Commons room tonight. I'm planning on staying up pretty late and watching some of the results come in. I feel pretty certain I know what the outcome of the election is going to be. Whatever happens, I really like what Al Molher says on his blog, "we must pray that Americans will be prepared to accept the results of the election with respect and kindness. This will be no time for rancor, condemnations, and conspiracy theories. Instead, we must pray that God will settle the hearts of the people. May Christians be ready to respond with prayer, respect for office, and a gentle spirit. Others will be watching." (Read the full article here)

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Hey Jenna! Its so cool that people in Britain are so interested in the election. My dad actually prefers BBC news coverage over some of the American coverage. I've found their coverage to be really helpful especially in my poli sci class assignments.
I've found a couple comments on the election as well that were very encouraging. The GirlTalk blog has a video from John Piper and Perry Noble said in his blog that we should look to Christ as our Savior not our political leaders but we should commit to praying for whoever gets elected regularly. I thought their incites were very good in addressing attitudes especially of fear toward the election.