Monday, November 24, 2008

My Trip to Košice, Slovakia

I had a lot of fun visiting Amber this weekend! I arrived in Slovakia Friday afternoon. Amber and I walked around Kosice. One thing Amber pointed out to me that I found really interesting was how blocks and blocks of apartments all looked the same. This is because 20 years ago Slovakia was still a Communist country and everyone lived in the same style of apartment. It's interesting to think about the effects of Communism on a country like Slovakia.
In the evening we went to a hockey game that evening with the rest if her team. The team she is with in Kosice has one married couple, two guys, and three girls (including Amber). Sadly Kosice lost to the other team (I can't remember who they were playing!) but the game was a really fun experience! Granted I didn't understand much of what was going on because everything was in Slovak, but I enjoyed attempting to learn the cheers!

Saturday the girls and I went to a worship service in Presov that had around 1,000 Slovak students! They do this once a year and I guess it is pretty rare to see that many Slovaks worshipping the Lord. In the evening we went to a piano bar and had pasta. Sunday I went to a Slovak church service at a Baptist church there! Then Amber and I went to the mall and hung out the rest of the day.
All in all it was a very relaxing weekend and I had so much fun catching up with Amber and talking about Clemson with someone who actually knows where it is! It was also so encouraging and exciting for me to see how the Lord is working. Please continue to pray for the team in Slovakia!
Amber and I

St. Elizabeth's Cathedral




The Slovakian Coat of Arms



This museum is hilarious, there's about 20 wax figures of random Slovakian kings over the years and Andy Warhol (Slovakia's claim to fame)

We're excited about the first snowfall of the season in Slovakia!
Stephanie, Lindsay, Amber, and I at the worship concert


The roomates on the balcony of their flat!

No comments: