"Only one life twill soon be passed,
Only what’s done for Christ will last."
Only what’s done for Christ will last."
Yesterday I made a trip to Bunhill fields Burial Ground. Bunhill Fields was used as a burial site for Nonconformists from the late seventeenth century to the middle of the nineteenth century. There have been many notable men buried there over the years including John Bunyan, William Blake, Daniel Defoe, Isaac Watts (Puritan Hymn writer), and one of my favorites John Owen.
As I reflected on the legacy each one of these men left, I began to pray that I would live a similar life. Not necessarily a life in which I will achieve a great name like these men, or glory and fame. I just pray that I would not waste my life. As Paul says, "However I consider my life worth NOTHING to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." (Acts 20:24) I long to live an unwasted life, a life for the glory of God. I pray that I would have that eternal perspective more and more and that it would affect the way I spend my time from moment to moment, day to day.
As I continued to walk through the cemetery I stumbled upon the Chapel where John Wesley lived and preached! The church is still being used but that had a museum in the bottom that went through the life of John Wesley and his ministry.
"Let love flow from your saints, and may it, Lord, be this: that even if it costs our lives, the people will be glad in God. 'Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you! Let the nations be glad and sing for joy.' Take your honored place, O Christ, as the all-satisfying Treasure of the world. With trembling hands before the throne of God, and utterly dependent on your grace, we lift our voice and make this solemn vow: As God lives, and is all I ever need, I will not waste my life." -John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life
No comments:
Post a Comment