"I am sure," said she, "I cried for two days together when Colonel Miller's regiment went away. I thought I should have broken my heart."
"I am sure I shall break MINE," said Lydia.
"If one could but go to Brighton!" observed Mrs. Bennett.
"Oh, yes!-- if one could but go to Brighton! But papa is so disagreeable."
"A little sea-bathing would set me up forever."
"And my aunt Phillips is sure it would do ME a great deal of good," added Kitty. -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
In the 18th century King George IV built his decadent royal pavilion in Brighton. Once King George moved to Brighton it became fashionable for the wealthy English to build summer homes in Brighton. In the 19th century people from all over England began coming to Brighton for vacations because they thought the salt water would cure them of any ailment they may have had.
Here's are some pictures of the day:
There was no sand on the beach, it was all pebbles!
No comments:
Post a Comment