Sunday, August 31, 2008

Eye See You London

I had a wonderful Saturday yesterday. I went on the London Eye at 1:00 with a few girls that live on my hall. The London Eye is the UK’s most popular paid for visitor attraction, visited by over 3.5 million people a year. It was made by British Airways in 2000. Being somewhat afraid of heights, it was a little scary for me but I'm definitely glad I did it!

After the Eye I ventured over to Trafalgar square and met up with my good friend Kelly's friend Laura from the camp she worked at this summer. Laura is also studying in London for the semester. It was so wonderful to talk with another believer and encourage one another. We had lunch at this little sandwich place and then we walked through the London National Portrait Gallery. You can't take pictures in there but we got to see some pretty neat things. They had a lot of Van Gogh and Monet's paintings...pretty incredible.

Later on in the evening most of the study abroad students went on a Jack the Ripper tour. I didn't really know much about Jack the Ripper before and now I know more than I need to!! It was actually a pretty cool tour (in a kind of morbidly fascinating way). We went to different spots where he murdered five different women (creepy I know). My favorite part was just learning more about the London of the 1880's. Apparently there's even a whole science of study about Jack the Ripper called "Ripperology." If you're interested in learning more there's a Johnny Depp movie called "From Hell" that is about Jack the Ripper. However, our tour guide said that the movie isn't very accurate to the actual police reports of the times.

After the tour some friends and I just walked around central London, it's so beautiful to see the buildings at night. Here's a few pictures from my Saturday adventures:

In the London Eye about halfway up

Jen, Alex, and I



The National Portrait Gallery

Laura and I!

The Tower of London

No comments: