Sometimes I think language is so ineffective, so inadequate. One of my favorite poems is Sylvia Plath’s "Black Rook in Rainy Weather." The last few stanzas are my favorite:
Of whatever angel any choose to flare
Suddenly at my elbow. I only know that a rook
Ordering its black feathers can so shine
As to seize my senses, haul
My eyelids up, and grant
A brief respite from fear
Of total neutrality. With luck,
Trekking stubborn through this season
Of fatigue, I shall
Patch together a content
Of sorts. Miracles occur.
If you care to call those spasmodic
Tricks of radiance
Miracles. The wait's begun again,
The long wait for the angel,
For that rare, random descent.
To me her poem captures the frustration I feel with expression. She describes how for but a minute in time an ordinary black rook (or crow) is illuminated within her poetic imagination. Plath experiences the "miracle" of understanding she has been waiting for, if only for a moment. Sometimes I long for those unplanned moments of clarity in which your heart and mind flows through your pen onto paper.
In other news, I am about 90% sure I will be here next semester (!!!):

On my "to do" list while i'm in London (so far):
-Go to as many plays as money will allow
-Visit the Tate museum of modern art
-Drink absurd amounts of tea
-Go to Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Switzerland, France, Germany, and Italy
-Read some Keats or Tennyson while in Cambridge
-Walk down Abbey Road
-Meet a hot british student in Oxford
-Go skiing in the alps
-Join a eurotrash band
-Visit Geneva and see where Calvin spent most of his life
-Swim in the Italian Riviera
-Visit Jane Austen's home/go to the Jane Austen festival in Bath
-Do the irish jig in Dublin
-Acquire a british accent
-Have a beer at Inklings pub (where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis met)
I'll add more to my list as the ideas come to me, let me know it you have any suggestions. :) I'm so excited!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment