
I just read a play titled Guantanamo 'Honor Bound to Defend Freedom' and I realized and am continuing to realize how ignorant I am about so many foreign affairs. I had never really considered what it would be like to be a prisoner detained in Guantanamo with no reason given to me for my detention. It's hard for me to believe that the U.S. has held over 700 detainees in Guantanamo with no explanation. 355 detainees still reside in Guantanamo. The U.S. plans to release over half of the detainees but they haven't yet becausethey are finding it difficult to allocate places to send them. Seriously? It makes me so angry that things like this still go on today and that the U.S./Bush? is the cause of a large part of the problem.
If you don't know much about it, read more about Guantanamo here.
"It is a recurring theme in history that in times of war, armed conflict, or perceived national danger, even liberal democracies adopt measures infringing human rights in ways that are wholly disproportionate to the crisis."
-Guantanamo 'Honor Bound to Defend Freedom'
No comments:
Post a Comment