As my dad and I sat in my room trying to figure out how to put up my loft and meet the stranger who was to be my roommate for the next year, I heard a knock on the door. We opened it and the sweetest girl introduced herself to us as GraceAnna. She explained that she had gotten my information from the Cru website, that she was a Sophomore at Clemson, and that her and her friend Amber would be leading a bible study in Manning that year! I immediately felt so welcomed and cared for by her. Later that day, Amber came by and introduced herself and then contacted me again a few days later about going hiking.
After going through orientation, welcome events, and all the things they jam pack into your first week of college, I went hiking with GraceAnna, Amber, and a few other girl interested in a bible study. On that hike, I felt like I immediately clicked with these girls and could not believe I already felt like I made sweet friendships!
Throughout that year, I grew closer with each of the girls in that bible study and loved stopping by their dorms all hours of the day/night. Some of my fondest memories are hanging out with April (I'm pretty sure I was literally in her dorm every day), American idol viewing parties, dyeing my hair in the communal bathroom (not a pretty sight!), and the 3am fire alarm when Madeline came outside in her retainer.
I am incredibly thankful for the investment that GraceAnna and Amber made into our lives. What a beautiful picture of God's sovereignty and provision! He immediately gave me Biblical community and allowed me to form friendships that would last a lifetime. I know not everyone's freshman year or experience in college is that easy.
When I think about my college experience, I think about these beautiful girls. In some ways, it's hard to believe we've been out of college for a little over 4 years. Yet in other ways, I think of everything the Lord has done in my life and in the lives of my friends since then and I'm in awe of His goodness. It's been beautiful to watch these friends grow and change and go new places. The Lord has brought some to the mission field and some to the secular workplace. I've been able to watch Him provide godly men to pursue and marry several of these girls (something we prayed for in college!) and to even watch some become moms.
Even though we're spread out across the country and even the world (thinking of you in Slovakia Amber!) and each of our lives looks very different, I'm thankful for our common bond and unity in Christ. Maybe some of us will live in the same city again some day, but even if we don't, I look forward to the day when we will all be together for eternity worshipping our risen Savior!
This year we decided to attempt to have a reunion every year with all of the girls and their husbands. Last weekend, I drove our to Gatlinburg and we rented a wonderful cabin for our first official reunion. Here's a few highlights of the weekend for me...
I LOVED the drive there! I had to stop and get a few shots of these gorgeous mountains...
I had so much fun hanging out with Karis. It's hard to believe how much she's grown since the last time I've seen her! I love her expressive and joyful personality!
Amber never cease to make me laugh! Girl, you totes missed your calling as a model!
Most of the weekend was spent sitting and talking, eating, or playing games. My favorite things!!!
I love how focused Meredith is!
Sweet Katie :) Amber actually got this shot! Good job!
Amber also took this one....hilarious!
I'm thankful for April organizing our food for the weekend!
This was hanging above the sink. Pretty appropriate for the weekend!
Sweet little Jonathan!!
We headed downtown Gatlinburg for the afternoon. It was PACKED! I'm pretty sure Gatlinburg is the best place in the world to people watch.
We played a lot of cards! Aaron and Meredith taught us a new game called "golf" that I really love and can't wait to teach friends in Clemson!
Love this sweet family!
We enjoyed the perfect evening weather and ate our dinner outside on Saturday...
...and got to watch the sun set!
And then this happened...
We were all sitting the living room on Sunday getting ready to leave and Joshua came in from taking the trash out and said very calmly "I just saw a bear." We started laughing because we thought he was joking (or at least I know I did!) because he was so calm. The next thing I know, there is literally A BEAR AT OUR FRONT DOOR! It was one of the craziest things I've experienced. I should probably also mention that the front door is GLASS! We all slightly freaked out and then grabbed our cameras...I mean what else is there to do in that situation?! We started excitingly taking pictures and the next thing I know....
the bear CLIMBS UP ON THE WINDOW! It was pretty amazing/slightly terrifying. At that point, Meredyth and I both thought, maybe we should make sure the other doors and windows in our cabin are closed and locked? I mean this bear is pretty darn adorable but, IT'S A BEAR! Once we made sure everything was locked, the bear had gotten down from the window and started walking slowly around the porch. We all took a seat on the couch and knew we had to wait it our until our visitor decided to leave. After about 10 minutes I think he decided he wasn't going to find any trash and he walked away. It was crazy, hilarious, kind of scary, and a great way to end our weekend!
Here's a group shot right before we all left. Love these friends (sorry we missed you Kevin)!
...until next year!



























No comments:
Post a Comment