Friday, October 12, 2012

Grandma Wayment

"Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life." Provers 16:31

Grandma and I at a family reunion in MT in July 2012
Today is my grandma's 80th birthday and so I have been reflecting a lot on her life and how thankful I am for her. My grandma is someone who has always been very present and active in my life. I'm thankful that for most of my years growing up, I lived very close to her in Annapolis. I can remember going over to her house frequently and looking through all of her old photo albums and playing with her pig figurines (she collects pigs) and collectables.

I'm also incredibly thankful that I've gotten to know my grandma really well in the last several years as an adult. Since my freshman year of college, I have spent every thanksgiving and Christmas with her. I also spent several weeks with her every summer and stayed with her an entire summer after my Sophomore year when I interned in DC. My grandma is very hospitable and has always welcomed me to stay with her for however long I want.

Grandma has taught me many things throughout the course of my life. Here's a few things I have learned from her over the years...

  • The importance of being a hard worker. My grandma is the hardest worker I know. She worked at JC Penny until last year and finally retired at 79 years old. She always arrived early and stayed late. All of her customers knew her and loved her because she cared about them and always did her best to help them. Gradma's house is also always immaculate because she works hard to keep everything clean. 
  • Perseverance through hardship. My grandma hasn't always had an easy life. However, she's handled the trials of life with grace and sought joy in the midst of suffering. Recently, I've seen her fighting to trust the Lord and pray to him when she is struggling or anxious.
  • The importance of family. If you ask anyone, they will tell you my grandma loves her family. She is so intentional to keep in touch with her brothers and sisters, children, and grandchildren. She flies around the country multiple times a year to make sure she is at every graduation, wedding, and family vacation. Every three years we have a family reunion together that either my grandma or one of her sisters or brother organizes. I really believe that my dad's side of the family has stayed very well connected with one another largely because of her influence. She makes me want to be very intentional with my family and friends (especially those who live far away) through frequent phone conversations, cards, and emails.
  • Wisdom in finances. My grandma is one of the most frugal people I know. She is incredibly wise with her money and has learned to live off a little. Yet, she's also not afraid to spend her money on the things that really matter. She has always stuck to her budget and yet been generous with her money.
  • How to have fun. Grandma is one of the most active people I know. Seriously, she has lived such a full life. Until just a few years ago, she went dancing with her friend Stuart every Friday night. She travelled to China past the age of 75 and constantly playing bridge with friends or going on day trips around Maryland. I really hope that I am as active as she is when I'm her age!

Thank you for being such a wonderful example to me grandma! I love you so much and am thankful for our time together. This is my prayer for you: "For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with al the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:14-19).

My grandma when she was 16. I love her style!

1 comment:

Peg said...

such a wonderful post Jenna! :)loved that last pic!