Amy and I at Irishai in Greenville for our last discipleship time together. I will really miss our times together each week.
Amy and I at "Amy's Going Away Soiree." The theme was "black and white" (except for Amy of course). It was a blast!!!
Here's a poem that I wrote and read to her at her going away party last Thursday:
Dearest Amy,
Due to the fact that I only have a few minutes to share,
I felt that a brief poem would best show my care.
And so this poem will begin with the task
Of describing how I met you in years past.
It was the fall of my junior year at Clemson
When my friend April told me she had met someone.
She invited me to join her at Jittery Joes for tea
With a new Crosspoint staff member named Amy.
That day, I remember immediately connecting
Over many different important things.
I was deeply impressed by your thing
For Hannah Montana and hip hop dancing.
Don’t worry; I am speaking only in jest.
The thing that really stood out to me above all the rest
Was your all-consuming passion for Jesus,
And your desire for the nations to see this.
You quickly became someone I was glad I knew
Because I saw there was a lot I could learn from you.
Thankfully you began to disciple me shortly thereafter
And taught me things like trash bag sledding and the importance of laughter.
You even took time to meet with me over Skype for a while
When I was studying in London and we were apart many miles.
Not only were you present on my computer screen,
But you and Tara visited me over Thanksgiving!
Together, London, Dublin, and Galway we saw
And we had so much fun it should have been against the law,
In fact, at times it could have been!
(just kidding Mr. and Mrs. Chasteen).
Over high tea at Brown’s hotel Tara and Amy talked of G-link.
Perhaps it was the tea or your enthusiasm that caused me to think.
But I was quickly recruited to the program for the fall
And began getting excited that our friendship wouldn’t stop at all.
I was so thankful to join you on staff at Crosspoint church
And working together to reach internationals didn’t hurt.
Your passion and exhortation continually challenged me
To trust the Lord to do more than I ever thought my eyes could see.
We even got to spend six weeks in India together
Laughing, riding rickshaws, hitch hiking, and braving the weather.
You perfected the squatty potty stance
And frequently pushed me to get down and dance.
It was a great blessing to truly watch you thrive,
As you shared the gospel boldly and really came alive.
Your love for Pooja was evident for all to see.
I still praise the Lord for using you to help her believe.
Even when we’re not traveling in India like kin,
Or dancing to Irish music in Dublin,
Life with you is always an adventure,
Full of much joy, excitement, and allure.
I believe your life exemplifies something I once read.
In a poem, the missionary C.T. Studd said:
“Only one life, ‘twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.”
As you depart for India and to the nations Crosspoint sends,
I know our partnership in the gospel will not end.
And so my dear friend Amy Chasteen,
I’m thankful for the great friend and mentor you have been.
No comments:
Post a Comment