"And as they led him away, they seized one Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it behind Jesus." -Luke 23:26
"Jesus does not suffer so as to prevent your suffering. He bears a cross, not that you may escape it, but that you may endure it. Christ exempts you from sin but not from sorrow. Remember that, and expect to suffer." -C.H. Spurgeon (from Morning and Evening)
In suffering, remember:
- You carry the cross after Christ
- You bear this cross in partnership with Christ
- Though Simon had to bear the cross for a short while, it gave him lasting honor
Lead me to repentance, and save me from despair;
Let me come to thee renouncing, condemning. loathing myself,
but hoping in the grace that flows even to the chief of sinners.
At the cross may I contemplate the evil of sin, and abhor it,
At the cross may I contemplate the evil of sin, and abhor it,
look on him whom I pierced, as one slain for me, and by me.
May I never despise his death by fearing its efficacy for my salvation.
And whatever cross I am required to bear,
May I never despise his death by fearing its efficacy for my salvation.
And whatever cross I am required to bear,
let me see him carrying a heavier.
-Taken from The Valley of Vision
No comments:
Post a Comment