Friday, October 23, 2009

William Carey's Form of Agreement

I am reviewing for my Baptist History mid-term today. As I was going through my notes, I was encouraged by studying the life of William Carey (famous missionary to India in the 1800's). Specifically, I was encouraged by The Form of Agreement he wrote in 1805 with William Ward and Joshua Marshmen.  The agreement is a guide about how to do missionary work.
  • To set an infinite value on men's souls.
  • To acquaint ourselves with the snares which hold the minds of the people.
  • To abstain from whatever deepens India's prejudice against the gospel.
  • To watch for every chance of doing the people good.
  • To preach "Christ crucified" as the grand means of conversions.
  • To esteem and treat Indians always as our equals.
  • To guard and build up "the hosts that they may be gathered."
  • To cultivate their spiritual gifts, ever pressing upon them their missionary obligations, since Indians only can win Indians for Christ.
  • To labor unceasingly in biblical translation.
  • To be instant in the nurture of personal religion.
  • To give ourselves without reserve to the cause, "not counting even the clothes we wear our own."
May we have this view in all of our missions efforts!

No comments: