Monday, February 9, 2009

20/20 Conference at Southeastern

This past weekend I went to the 20/20 conference at Southeastern Seminary in Wake Forest.  I had the chance to hear two of my favorite pastors/writers speak: Mark Driscoll and C.J. Mahaney.  They were both so challenging.  I'm still processing everything I learned this weekend.  You can watch videos of the talks or subscribe to the podcast here. I would highly reccomend doing so, it will definitely encourage you!

A few of the most challenging thoughts/comments from the conference were:

  • "If your church were to leave the community, would the community miss you?" -Mark Driscoll
  • The Church should be a city within a city- we should not mirror the culture or hide from culture.
  • Where is the Lord calling you to redeem?
  • In reference to Mark 14, extravagent devotion to the Savior is an evidence of a genuine conversion. (C.J. Mahaney)
  • Custom devise a plan to survey the cross every day.
  • Sin problems are actually worship problems. (Mark Driscoll)
  • The Bible should be read as a Grand Narrative and not an anthology or collection of stories. (Dr. Steve McKinion)
  • In reference to 1 Corinthians 13, the Gospel comes to life by love. (Daniel Akin)
Another great part of the weekend is that I got to spend time with friends from Clemson and catch up with friends I haven't seen in a while!  Here are a few pictures from the weekend:



Claire and I

Brooke and I
GraceAnna and I- I have missed her being in Clemson dearly!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great weekend! I found out last night that the messages are podcast so I'm working my way through them. Mark Driscoll's message on 7 Views of Culture was definitely convicting. Where I go next is God's plan not my choice. I was also incredibly encouraged though. I got so excited to find out where God has planned for me to serve in this next season of life. I'll be praying for you as you prepare for the coming year. I'm only call away if you need anything Miss you guys! :)