Monday, October 13, 2008

A Day at the British Museum with Terrence

I have had the blessing of getting to know a man in my small group whose name is Terrence. Terrence is about 70 years old and after talking to him for about 5 minutes you can just tell that he is way smarter than you will ever hope to be! It turns out that Terrance went to Cambridge and studied Archeology and Babylonian. While he was going to Cambridge the well known pastor, evangelist, and author John Stott came and preached. It was there that Terrence heard the Gospel for the first time and made the decision to accept Christ. After talking with Terrence more Krista and I found out that he is a curator at the British Museum! The British Museum is one of the world's largest museums and has famous artifacts from Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc. So Krista and I set a date to meet Terrence at the British Museum and have our own private tour!

Our date was set for this morning and so Krista and I showed up to the museum at 11:30. Shortly after we arrived,Terrence met us with two books in his hands to give us. As he handed the copy over to me I looked down and saw a book...published by HIM on biblical artifacts in the British Museum (you can see a picture of the book on the left). He is so sweet and humble, it turns out that he's an expert on the ancient near east, biblical archeology, and biblical artifacts in the British Museum. How COOL is that?? We learned all about the origins of the Hebrew language and archaeology in the Old Testament. He carried his bible with him and read us passages in reference to the artifacts we were looking at. It was so amazing and definitely something I will never forget. It is incredibly refreshing to meet someone so intelligent and well known in academia that is a believer and holds to the inerrency of Scripture. He also inspired me to want to learn Hebrew and Greek!

1 comment:

Terrace Crawford said...

My name is "Terrace" - funny. Have fun in London. How cool to study abroad!

Just ran across your blog today online. Couldn't resist leaving a comment.