Tuesday, October 9, 2007

(random thoughts): Forgiveness, A Command

Forgiveness is the heart of the gospel and should always be manifested in the life hid with Christ.

I am a debtor with no hope of repaying the Lord (Matt 18:23-35). I must freely release others of their debts to me as I have been released. I must freely forgive as I have been forgiven.

My readiness to forgive others is a true sign of repentance and a testimony to the life-changing power of the gospel.

The Hebrew verb "nasa" means "to lift up, to bear, or carry." I must carry, bear away, and lift up the faults, sins, and failures of others.

To forgive is not to have said no injustice was suffered but rather to move past the wrong-doing with a genuine heart of love.

1 Peter 2:20-23-
"But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. 'He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.' When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly."

Oh Lord, that I would not insist upon my rights or wordly justice. I pray that I would recieve my life and my strength from your gospel. (Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. -1 Cor 9:13&14)

No comments: